Restyle4Life

Sewing, Refashioning, Repurposing & Thrifting Through Life

Old Ceiling Fan Makeover

on August 27, 2014

In addition to my drum shade chandelier, I also updated our old ceiling fan. Now I have mixed emotions about these things. First, I generally find them rather ugly to look at but I certainly appreciate their practicality. Now I knew I’d never win the battle to take it down completely but it was just begging me to give it a makeover. I mean really, it was begging.

Once again, Mr. Restyle helped me out. Love that man. He was so eager he started removing it before I could take a picture of it in all its fake wood/brass ugly glory but here’s an idea.

Why the man thought if he held up one of the parts that he'd already taken down would fool my readers I have no idea but I let him do it anyway "so they could get the idea."

Why the man thought if he held up one of the parts that he’d already taken down would fool my readers, I cannot say but I let him do it anyway “so they could get the idea.”

And here are the blades already disassembled. Can you hear these things crying “Get us out of the early 90s please! We still remember your first apartment!”

004

I have seen people paint ceiling fans without taking them down. I do not recommend this and cannot figure out why anyone would attempt this risking spray paint everywhere. It’s extremely important to not spray paint the motor. I’m almost certainly you’ll mess up the mechanics if you do. Lucky for us the brass covering the motor is a separate piece that was easily removed. If yours is different, I would stuff newspaper or cotton or something into all the little holes so the paint can’t get to the mechanics.

Once you have the fan disassembled, cover off any areas you will not be painting. This means the bulb sockets. You can stuff newspaper to cover this area off. We didn’t plan on painting the blades. If you do, be careful not to put too heavy a coat of paint on as it will weigh the blades down possibly rendering your fan inoperable.

For our fan, instead of painting the blades we chose to flip them over. The underside (the side next to the ceiling) was plain wood. Since our goal was to cover the “rattan” look of the blades, flipping them over did the trick.

Once again I used the Rust-o-leum Metallics spray pain in the Flat Chestnut (same colour I used on the drum shade chandelier) which is hanging in our adjacent family room.

Rust-o-leum Metallics in Flat Chestnut. Paint and primer in one.

Rust-o-leum Metallics in Flat Chestnut. Paint and primer in one.

Once it was all spray painted, it was hung back up. The only thing we replaced were the pulls. Ours were missing pieces and we didn’t like the colour.

Updated old ceiling fan.

Updated old ceiling fan.

006fan

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: